Friday, December 12, 2008

...{If it ain't broke}...



So, I had been REAL skeptical of the whole concept of this album. Now you can ask any and everybody, I am a die hard Kanye West fan and got every cd the same day it came out. This cd, I bought on the 5th...remember people, it came out in November. I have to say, it's a hell of a lot different than the other ones. College Dropout...played it for years, Late Registration...every song on the cd was a ringtone on my phone at least once, Graduation...still in in my recently played on my Ipod. Now, this cd?? I've listened to all the way through twice, some songs I play more than others, but I can't fully say that I'm disappointed.

How can I be disappointed, the nigga delivered a well produced album, it just isnt what we're used to. Every song, to me, sounded like he was channeling Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" with the African tribal drums.

The song that made me buy 808 was "Street Lights". I heard it during an episode of Grey's Anatomy, and with the exception of "Heartless" and "Love Lockdown", this is the best fucking song on the album hands down. The guitar riff, drums, background singers tied this song together into a big ball of emotion that almost had my ass in tears. The line "I KNOW my destination, and I'm just not there" is said with so much conviction and emotion at some parts that it leads you to wonder where his mind was when he wrote not only this song but the whole cd.

The effects on the cd were just enough, it wasn't T-Pain over the top and it wasn't Lil' Wayne...It was Kanye expressing himself the best way he knew how. It was a hell of a lot of damn repetition, not the catchy repetition...just fuckin repetitious for no reason lol. It seemed as if he was either tryin to emphasize what he was saying or was too lazy to think of anything else to say. Like Lil' Wayne did in Ms. Officer "And I beat it like a cop, Rodney King baby yeah I beat it like a cop, Ha Haaa... beat it like a cop,Rodney King baby said beat it like a cop"

It's funny cause people been saying for the longest "I wish he'd stop making beats that have samples"...he did the shit now they want him to change it again.

Well Brother Kanye, I'd have have to say, even though its not what I'm used too, you did right by me...I at least got 4 songs that I can but in rotation. LOL

Listen to In The Air then any song on 808 and tell me it doesn't sound alike...esp. Welcome to Heartbreak

In The Air:
In The Air Tonight

Heartbreak
Welcome To Heartbreak

No comments: